4 AM on an uneventful Thursday











4am on an un eventful Thursday
The alarm didn’t go off
There is no pressure to wake
so, I lay there feeling calm as a lake
As if by chance came a vision of some sort
Didn’t feel like dream
Or that’s what I thought
I saw myself decorating the Christmas tree
The one in my living room
Away from myself and felt free
sitting on the couch I watched the scene
A moment so rare and serene
Its only fitting
I call him he
he looked different,
Far from glee
Thinning hairline, curves and hazed face
like he is stuck in a fricking maze

He bent down and picked up a red star
Tied it neatly with a string
Placed it right at the top
Perfection seemed to be his goal
Why is he so serious screamed the soul?
I took a good look at him
The path he travelled
The difficulties he overcome
The gloomy days that went by 
The crooked lines and sagging eye
Engulfed in the sight so rare
I sympathised with him
He is supposed to be happy
He has everything and someone to care
He fought good,
But didn’t love enough
He worked hard
But didn’t retire more
He held on too much
But didn’t let go

“Hey you” I called, he didn’t turn
He seemed worried about the next task
the next and the next
he is so insane
He picks another star
Another string
Placed it on the tree
Like a lion in the circus ring
Oh darling!
What has he done with his life?
How do I make him understand a point so glaring?
Its not at the top of mountains
Its not at the end of road
Its neither in red stars of achievement
that he seems to load
I screamed aloud 
woke up panting on the bed
Its only a dream I told myself
wiping my head
Like a lighting from afar
It suddenly dawned on me
Its in the path to the mountains
Its in the flowers on the sides of the road
Its in the strings and
In the imperfection ornaments that Christmas trees abode
It is happening today, here and now
And peace came over
like a blanket of snow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Elephant's pride

வாழ்கை அவ்வளவு சுலபம் இல்லை, ஆனா போராடணும்!

Goedemorgen Amsterdam - Euro Trip 4